The Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award, is given to an individual retailer who has done an outstanding job of supporting the comics art medium both in the community and within the industry at large. The point is to honor "the best comic shops in the world."
- Any retailer established in business for at least two years is eligible to be nominated.
- Anyone -- retailers, professionals, fans -- may place a name in nomination.
- A panel of industry judges selects a group of finalists to be subjected to an in-depth examination based on the award criteria.
- Winners will be announced as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards at Comic-Con International on Friday, July 23, 2010.
- Previous winners are not eligible for nomination.
- Support of a wide variety of innovative material: Providing opportunities for creators' material to reach buyers; stocking a diverse inventory.
- Knowledge: Working to stay informed on retailing as well as on the comics field.
- Community activity: Promoting comics to the community; maintaining relationships with schools and libraries; keeping active in social, business, and arts community organizations.
- Quality of store image: Innovative display approaches; using store design creatively.
- Adherence to standard ethical business practices.